Friday, January 1, 2010

favorites of 2009

1. animal collective "merriweather post pavilion"
2. the xx s/t
3. vijay iyer trio "historicity"
4. the flaming lips "embryonic"
5. the yeah yeah yeahs "its blitz!"
6. bell orchestre "as seen through windows"
7. metric "fantasies"
8. dan deacon "bromst"
9. phoenix "wolfgang amadeus phoenix"
10. bill callahan "sometimes I wish we were an eagle"
11. grizzly bear "veckatimest"
12. lightning dust "infinite light"
13. beirut "march of the zapotec/holland" ep
14. bear in heaven "beast rest forth mouth"
15. hockey "mind chaos"
16. sunset rubdown "dragonslayer"
17. the antlers "hospice"
18. balmorhea "all is wild, all is silent"
19. au revoir simone "still night, still light"
20. neko case "middle cyclone"
21. jim o'rourke "the visitor"
22. antony and the johnsons "the crying light"
23. hauschka "snowflakes and car wrecks"
24. the pains of being pure at heart "higher than the stars" ep
25. atlas sound "logos"

best compilation: dark was the night

best covers: taken by trees covering "my girls" by animal collective, and the books covering "cello song" by nick drake

also noteworthy: destroyer "bay of pigs" ep. but it only had two songs on it, so I didn't really think it was fair to put on the list of albums and longer eps.

3 comments:

greg said...

Alright April I got together my post for your comment section that lists both my top 15 of 2009 and top 30 of 2k0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9. It was a huge blast concocting these mad-lists (big ups my man DOOM) and of course it's all done tongue in cheek and with the disclaimer that I totally know I'm leaving out a ton of albums that all really deserve to be on here.

Otherwise, I went for it and ranked the top 15 of 2009 from my most favorite on down to just a really fun listen. The Top 30 list is in no particular order because I just couldn’t bring myself to do it and one can always argue on behalf of The Mysterious Production of Eggs.

1 Animal Collective - Merriwearther Post Pavilion (the 500lb gorilla)
2 Om - God Is Good (“meditation is the practice of death” yup)
3 DOOM - Born Like This (again it’s all caps when you spell the man’s name)
4 Oneida - Rated O (lovely to run too)
5 Atlas Sound – Logos (headphone music)
6 Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle (it’s time to put God away)
7 Marissa Nadler - Little Hells (fits the religious theme)
8 Inca Ore - Silver Sea Surfer School (psychedelic as all hell)
9 Julianna Barwick – Florine (awesome to nap too)
10 Mos Def - The Ecstatic (Brooklyn!)
11 Dum Dum Girls - S/T (I guess maybe more Brooklyn?)
12 Mountains – Choral (background of perfect swirling sound)
13 No Age - Losing Feeling EP (concise is just what I wanted from these guys)
14 Max Richter – Memoryhouse (great thematic soundtrack)
15 Lily Allen - It's not me it's you (my stab at pop couture)

Favorite movie soundtrack – Karen O & Friends Where the Wild Things Are

and now... the top 30 of 2000-09!

1 Andrew Bird – The Mysterious Production of Eggs
2 Broadcast - Tender Buttons
3 Castanets - Cathedral
4 Madvillain - Madvillainy
5 Animal Collective - Song Tongs
6 Air - Talkie Walkie
7 The White Stripes - Elephant
8 Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
9 Panda Bear - Person Pitch
10 Kanye West - The College Dropout
11 Black Mountain - S/T
12 Non-Prophets - Hope
13 The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?
14 Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
15 Outkast - Stankonia
15 Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
16 The Delgados - The Great Eastern
17 Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
18 Hertta Lussu Ässä – S/T
19 Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20 Low - Drums and Guns
21 The Shins – Oh, Inverted World
22 Grandaddy - The Software Slump
23 Spoon - Girls Can Tell
24 Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound
25 The Rosebuds - Birds Make Good Neighbors
26 Stars of Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
27 One Be Lo - S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M
28 Radiohead - Kid A
29 The Beach Boys – Smile
30 Interpol – Turn on the Bright Lights

Take care and don't stress out this semester. Remember the trick is to keep breathing. And post more pics and things when you have time!!!

ps I'm totally slowly but surely hunting and gathering all of those goodies that I missed and you listed this year like Metric's 'Fantasies' oh la la.

happy 2010! and happy listening 4-eves!

afs said...

wow. you totally just showed me up with that list of the last decade. I love that you have girls can tell on there! (YES)

nice list for 2009 too. that max richter is great; I maybe should have put that on my list too. I totally knew you'd put Oneida way up there - I really did try to like that album, but couldn't get into it.

greg said...

haha yes Oneida! Brownout in Logos...whoa. I think there's no way anyone can handle it in it's entirety so there's almost an insider's joke on the audience. I'm still dissecting yours and getting around to listen too all of the albums. Soooo more discussion to come!