Wednesday, November 4, 2009

october

atlas sound "logos"
beak> s/t
built to spill "there is no enemy"
dead man's bones s/t
do make say think "other truths"
fuck buttons "tarot sport"
kings of convenience "declaration of dependence"
kurt vile "childish prodigy"
miles benjamin anthony robinson "summer of fear"
tegan and sarah "sainthood"
the black heart procession "six"
the clientele "bonfires on the heath"
the crayon fields "all the pleasures of the world"
the dutchess and the duke "sunset/sunrise"
*the flaming lips "embryonic"
the mountain goats "the life of the world to come"
the raveonettes "in and out of control"
the shaky hands "let it die"
no age "losing feeling"
osso " run rabbit run"
sufjan stevens "the BQE"

3 comments:

greg said...

Pretty thorough list and a good one April! I really liked 'Logos.' There are some amazing pop songs on that record that sometimes refuse to leave my head for days. I realize I'm still searching for the dreaminess that 'Recent Bedroom' always evokes but "walkabout' is super solid.
The Clientele's new record is great if not a little bit of an updated Nick Drake feel for me. I really appreciate records that establish a tone from the start but 'bonfires of the heath' is a little too breezy for its own good maybe?
The No Age record was really strong and as a 4 song EP it's totally catchy even though it's ridden with angst. It reminds a little of what Do Make Say Think did on their album but without all of the desperate attempts at capturing the listener.
Lastly, the Osso record and Sufjan's 'BQE' are awesome. Both work as soundtracks for daily commutes or just wallpaper if you're sitting around. I didn't get the new Mountain Goats record but I can figure out pretty easily what was probably going on there. He's been making interesting narrative records for a while. I figure I need not rush out for this one. Okay that's it! Any standouts that I should go get like not right now but right now!???

Unknown said...

Ummm

where is Fireflies by owl city?

afs said...

Greg: so, logos? I liked it, but not as much as pitchfork did. and you seem to really like it. maybe I need to listen more? I haven't gotten any of those songs stuck in my head yet. The clientele album was as I expected - they are pretty solid and predictable. I expected more of do make say think and the shaky hands. I was really pleasantly surprised by the flaming lips album - you have no comment on that one?

Tim: um, no.