Tuesday, January 6, 2009

favorites of 2008

1. sigur ros "med sud I eyrum vid spilum endalaust"
2. son lux "at war with walls & mazes"
3. fleet foxes "sun giant" ep/self titled album
4. miles benjamin anthony robinson, self titled
5. hauschka "ferndorf"
6. pete & the pirates "little death"
7. bonnie "prince" billy "lie down the light"
8. beck "modern guilt"
9. tv on the radio "dear science"
10. air france "no way down" ep
11. giant sand "provisions"
12. the mountain goats "heretic pride"
13. shearwater "rook"
14. passion pit "chunk of change" ep
15. calexico "carried to dust"
16. hercules and love affair, self titled
17. cut copy "in ghost colours"
18. vampire weekend, self titled
19. alaska in winter "holiday" ep
20. the rosebuds "life like"

most overrated
the gaslight anthem "the '59 sound"
she & him "volume one"

most underrated
son lux "at war with walls & mazes"

best compilation
belle & sebastian "the bbc sessions"

most disappointing
four tet "ringer" ep

most confusing nonsense
man man "rabbit habits"

most awesome nonsense
the flaming lips "christmas on mars" (with backyard sci-fi film, of course)

noteworthy songs (no particular order)
hercules & love affair "blind"
fleet foxes "mykonos"
liam finn "second chance"
miles benjamin anthony robinson "buriedfed"
school of seven bells "Iamundernodisguise"
pete and the pirates "she doesn't belong to me"
alaska in winter "we are blind and riding the merry-go-round"
tv on the radio "stork & owl"
tilly and the wall "pot kettle black"
karl blau "before telling dragons"
son lux "wither"

PS I didn't put bon iver in my 2008 list because that album actually came out in 2007.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like these categories - very informative. What about M83?

Andrew I. Martinez said...

Dude, last year is 2008. Did I just blow your mind?

afs said...

21. m83 "saturdays=youth"

Anonymous said...

Even though it was recorded between 1989 and 2006 I would have to include Bob Dylan, Bootleg Series Vol. 8, "Tell Tale Signs"...for one of the top albums and as for top songs, several from this compilation would and could qualify, eg. "Red River Shore" or "32-20"!

greg said...

Here comes the miraculous march of 2008's top...20 records!

(Fuck yeah)

20. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
19. Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual
18. Juana Molina - Un Día
17. Mercury Rev - Snowflake Midnight
16. Deerhunter- Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.
15. Monade - Monstre Cosmic
14. David Byrne and Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
13. Sigur Rós - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
12. Windy & Carl - Songs for the Broken Hearted
11. Hercules and Love Affair - S/T
10. The Black Angels - Directions to See A Ghost
9. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
8. Vordul Mega - Megagraphitti
7. Oneida - Preteen Weaponry
6. Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He
5. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Drippers
4. Castanets - City of Refuge
3. Es - Sateenkaarisuudelma
2. Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
1. Breeders - Mountain Battles

Soundtrack: Olivier Bernet "Persepolis"

Single: Of Montreal "Gallery Piece" - Skeletal Lamping

I regret to say as of this posting I still hadn't listen to the entire Vampire Weekend album because no one's sent it to me or I didn't illegally download it (kudos to me?. Also, if I could do a top 25 Pete and the Pirates, The Rosebuds, Cut Copy, Hauschka, and Bonnie Prince would've kicked down the 2008 door and made respective way on to the stage.

2009 most anticipated
Andrew Bird (already out I know)

Animal Collective (best record of 2009?)

Broadcast (God willing if you believe in God, not sure Broadcast believes in God but I hope they release an album never the less)

Low

Big Boi (aka Sir Luscious Leftfoot ... Son of Chico Dusty) yes yes yes

oh the potential!

afs said...

greg: NICE LIST. very bold to put the breeders as your number 1 - that album would have made my list if I'd done a top 25. and the more I listen to it the more I like it. other good albums on your list that might have made my top 25: monade (stereolab? what? so confusing), juana molina, and david byrne and brian eno. despite trying, I couldn't get into the oneida or of montreal.

people are really freaking out about the new animal collective. FREAKING OUT.