Wednesday, July 16, 2008

william tell overture

check this out - I recorded myself playing all 5 cello parts for the opening to william tell overture (technology is so cool). caveat: it's really hard to coordinate these 5 parts without visual cues (a conductor or being able to see the other players). I might try to re-record it this weekend; there are some rough spots in this recording.

PS: this is an updated version, for those of you who listened to 001. after several hours of re-recording, it's not really much better, though.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your ability to play the cello makes me sad with envy. The recording sounded good.

As far as your timing issues, forgive me for stating the obvious, but have you tried or considered using a click track? Or did you already use one?

Anonymous said...

very cool...never has this piece sounded so magisterial

afs said...

well, I could have used a metronome or something, but there isn't one consistent tempo throughout that entire segment. The first cello line is supposed to be played at a flexible tempo. basically, I need a conductor...I might give it another try this weekend, though.

Unknown said...

I could see how that would make a click track not work. How about this: I assume you know how to conduct, right? So record video of you conducting the piece, then play it back as you play!

I'm a genius!

Unknown said...

Quote of the day: You're so lucky to get to play with other instruments! - a pianist.