Wednesday, July 11, 2007

May/june album recommendations

minus story "my ion truss": one of the many things I like about this album is that none of the songs sound like each other, and the album as a whole is really well-arranged.

maps "we can create": good album and not memorable all at the same time. weird.

Hallelujah the hills, " collective psychosis begone" : this band makes great use of different instruments (the cello!). though, you have to wait till halfway through to get to the good stuff.

Andrew Pekler "cue": mellow post-rock. good stuff, though repetitive.

the shaky hands: sounds a bit like wilco at times. this album is GREAT and totally under-rated.

electrelane: awesome. their best album yet - more coherent than other albums. each song and even the album as a whole. on par with stereolab (of emperor tomato ketchup) as of this album. esp like the tempo pickup on track 3. nice.

handsome furs: pretty good, but not great. I think its actually more creative than his work in wolf parade, but maybe less catchy.

slaraffenland "private cinema": this is a pretty damn good first album, but not something that I'd actually really recommend - yet. I think they'll probably put out a really solid album at some point. I sort of feel like they aren't used to playing together yet - the problem might be that each of the members of the band haven't totally settled into their roles. anyway, there's some good stuff worth listening to here.

merzbow/carlos giffoni/jim o'rourke "electric dress": I'm not actually recommending this album, but I wanted to mention it because I respect O'rourke's work (esp the first sam prekop album). anyway, I'm not sure if the rock world is ready for 52 minute musical works. I guess expectations really drive perception - I can sit through a 52 minute symphony, but I can not sit through 52 minutes of something that is supposed to be rock music (or, post-rock, as the case may be) .

No comments: