Thursday, May 31, 2007

my external hard drive is probably f**ed and will cost hundreds of dollars to fix it. contents: thousands of songs, saved emails, original music, writing samples, class notes, resumes, photos of my life over the last several years - basically, digital memories of everything that's happened to me for the best 5 or so years. gone. the "computer guy" told me to try putting it in the freezer all night and then plugging it in in the morning. seriously? did he go to school for this? because this sounds like something I'd make up. next he's going to tell me to spread peanut butter all over it and then throw it down the stairs.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Hehehe. You were. And the freezer thing really works. That is how we got some info off our hard drive when it got fried two years ago. I'd explain to you how it works, but I'm not sure anymore. Something about static maybe? Good luck!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
greg said...

April you shouldn't get too worried as you aren't the first person this has happened to. My roomate spilled an entire glass of water into his laptop's keyboard (by accident making it maybe one of the most expensive glasses of water at $900 for 12ounces he'll ever buy) and for $100 BestBuy was able to transfer all data including dissertation drafts, resume, etc. without loss from the already rusting internal hardrive. Try the UW's Doit when you're in town. They charge something like $67 an hour for this type of work. Give'em a call 608-264-4357. Since there's only 2 components to an external hardrive and with your hardrive powering on, the likely hood is very good that you can at the very least recover data.


ok have fun. shit this makes me worry about my external hardrive.

afs said...

greg: go back up the stuff on you external hard drive immediately!!!!